News from around the RVing Lifestyle
– Pennsylvania RV Court Ruling: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court denied Dingman Township’s request for appeal regarding a provision in the Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance after losing to Lake Adventure in a lower Court ruling in 2013. The provision in question amended the definition of a recreation vehicle to one “that does not require a special highway moving permit when transported” and “a vehicular unit, mounted on wheels, of such size or weight as not to require special highway moving permits when drawn by motorized vehicles. This is another great win for campgrounds and the RV industry,” Robert Adams, owner of Gettysburg Campground and PRVCA’s Campground Director. “This decision helps ensure that park models and destination camping remain a growing segment of the industry.”
– RV News: The Good Sam RV Travel Guide and Campground Directory has announced 2014’s top rated RV parks. Digital Journal explains, awarded with perfect 10/10/10 ratings, these 101 RV parks and campgrounds feature the most desired amenities, cleanest facilities and most attractive properties and locations. Long considered the Gold Standard by RVers, the ratings given to these top rated RV parks and campgrounds put them on every RVers’ list of places to visit in 2014. For a complete list, click here.
– ROANOKE, Va.: A recreational vehicle caught fire in the parking lot of the Roanoke Civic Center as families were heading inside to see the Kazim Temple Shrine Circus, according to Roanoke Times. The fire damaged three RVs in the parking lot full of other trucks and circus equipment, but only one RV had severe damage. Two adults and two children were displaced from the fire, Roanoke Times reports. The cause of the was ruled as electrical, Roanoke Times explains.
– Richmond, Ind.: based Tom Raper RVs announced the launch of campersweather.com, a new website especially for campers and outdoor enthusiasts featuring weather forecasts, current conditions and weather alerts. According to a press release, the website, Facebook page, Twitter and a soon to be released mobile app are all free and include live weather radar, up-to-the-minute weather maps and weather related news.
– RV News: Stats on wholesale shipments of rigs seem to indicate it. U.S. wholesale annual shipments jumped 12.4 percent in December compared to the year before — about double 2009. On a monthly basis, December shipments were up 14.3 percent over 2013, the biggest December in six years, says the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association.
– Economy: Midwest propane prices continue to shoot upward. At one point last week, spot prices reached almost $5 per gallon, but dropped to $4.50. At the Kansas hub, prices reached $4.95, the highest since 1989.
– RV News: A fire in an electrical box at the Como, N.C., Camp PD Hunt Club got out of control and smoke was seen for miles. Local firefighters called in assistance, but in the end, 17 RVs parked at the club were wiped out.
~ News from the Weird ~
– RVs burn gas, but cows manufacture it, and in one case this week it caused a problem. Methane gas from 90 gassy cows exploded in a German farm shed, injuring one of the animals. High levels of flatulence had built up when a static electric charge caused the gas to explode with flashes of flames. One cow was treated for burns (hopefully, “rare” and not “well done”).
– This that make you go hmm? An RVer in Severance, Colo., who couldn’t get his motor home started tried using starter fluid. With somewhat predictable results, the rig caught fire and was totally destroyed. The twist? The rig was inside a local car wash when the fire broke out. No damage estimate on the car wash building.
Special thanks to CampingPA.com for supplying these great tidbits of RVing news…
Safe Travels and Happy RVing!